Sunday, May 24, 2015

Wrapping Up Aaron

Aaron is nearing completion and my run today confirmed my next (In)Visible series will be homeless people. 

While out on my 8 mile run I stopped for water at the Atwood gazebo and met a Black man at the fountain. He was standing there with his shirt open and backed away to allow me a drink. 

It was then I noticed a hotel size bottle of shower gel and realized he was cleaning himself. After we spoke I continued on my run to the Uptown Station.

When I reached the Atwood gazebo he was still there talking to another Black man. I stopped for water and after drinking approached the men. We chatted and I asked the man who had washed in the fountain if he would be there long and told him I wanted to give him something but needed to get home. He generously offered his bicycle but I wanted to finish my ray and asked him to wait 30 minutes for my return. 

At home I gathered a shirt and t-shirt and stopped at the Dollar Store for toiletries and placed it all in a bag. In the side pocket I put $100.

The men were still at the gazebo when I returned and presented the bag. He was very gracious as I explained who I was and why I wanted to help him. His friend was thankful and said he didn't need anything. We talked more and I gave them my card and asked to keep in touch. 

I'm awful at names and hope to see them again. Maybe I'll paint his portrait...

No comments:

Post a Comment